The Infanta Doña Beatriz, who was King Dionís' de Portugal daughter, founded it in 1467. She was buried there in 1470.
It had a social function: sick and poor people medical attention.
It is made up of a principal cloister with porticos that date back to the XVIth century. It has both a rectangular shape and low dintel covered balconies. Sick people rooms took to the cloister. The outside part, that is brick work, has a two brick part belfry finished off in pediment at the foot of the building. The new church dates back to the XVIth century since the original one was burnt.
It is made up of a three parts nave whose authors were Juan and Jerónimo Corral.